Rogers UK Oval Racing Page

Turner Talk

The well known Stockcar writer Jim Turner has the following to say about happenings up at Cowdenbeath. Don't forget to visit Cowdenbeath Racewall Home site ...........

  The end of the season stock car meeting produced plenty of entertainment to a packed GMP Cowdenbeath Racewall where the action came thick and fast.
On Saturday night the microf2 drivers were in tremendous form with Jack Morrow rolling his car and then when a couple of cars tangled Archie Grindey had no where to go and clambered over them. How his car didnít roll know one knows but it regained the track on all four wheels but against the wall. Both scrambled out of their cars unhurt.
Jason Secker won the 1300saloon Superbowl in what was an exciting race with four cars fighting it out for the win whilst Shane Davies had to fend off a last ditch challenge from Luke Grief to win the 2 Litre National version.
Ian Thompson won the formula II Champion of Champions final but it was Craig Wallace who came out on top to win the James Clarke Cochrane Memorial trophy. Euan Millar was the winner of the Pre 67 Ford Owners club sponsored Scottish Grand National trophy.
On Sunday the action continued thick and fast on a dry track. Brandon Morton rolled spectacularly in his mini whilst the microf2s continued the excite with Oliver Smith rolling his car and Ross McLaughlin getting into a shunt after clipping a kerb, David Hughes ended up winning the Allcomers 2 heat in a hectic finish whilst Jason Secker won the Cock oíthe North title in his last 1300saloon race whilst Charlie Folan won his last ever ministox race.


On Saturday night in dry but dull conditions the formula II drivers first target was their Champion of Champions final. Chevy Mills won the last chance qualifying race and he led the main race for a quite a few laps. In the end he lost out with Ian Thompson going through to win from Robbie Dawson and Craig Wallace.
In the heats which followed Wallace just got the better of Gregor Turner on the penultimate lap to win with Dawson in third. Thompson then won heat two from Mills and Wallace.
The James Clarke Cochrane Memorial trophy race was fast and furious but had to be stopped when Conor Hughes and Dennis Middler were sent crashing into the wall. On the restart Mills lead but as the laps dwindled he lost out to Wallace. On the last lap Mills had to survive a challenge from Turner, who spun as he did so allowing Dawson through into third. Thompson won the Grand National taking the lead on the penultimate lap to win from Turner and Dawson with Wallace in sixth.


There was 21 1300saloons at the track for their Superbowl race and there was some really fast and furious racing. Grant McGowan won heat one from Jason Secker and Robbie Bruce. In heat two Fraser Clark took the chequer ahead of Secker and Dougie Kidd.
Secker was on pole position for the final with McGowan alongside but on the opening lap Clark sent both Secker and McGowan wide to lead. Behind McGowan and Secker scrapped over second spot but on lap 12 the race had to be suspended with Dale Burtís car on the racing line. On the restart Secker sent Clark wide but there was another stoppage when a couple of cars tangled. Secker led but he was sent wide by McGowan with Clark going through into the lead. Michael Byers closed up and as the drivers fought for their place Byers moved into second spot. Clark hit a tyre and dropped down the order with Secker just fending off Byers to win with Bruce coming through into third.


The 2 litre National saloon drivers appeared in good numbers with World Champion Daniel Parker heading the challenge from south of the border. Stuart Shevill Jnr was amongst the Scottish drivers having a night off from racing his formula I.
The first heat saw last yearís winner Ian McLaughlin go through to win from Graeme Anderson and Luke Grief. Shevill Jnr then won heat two where he led home Shane Davies and Cole Atkins. Ross Graham made it three Scottish wins on the trot when he won the third heat crossing the line clear of David Hughes and Davies.
McLaughlin and Davies shared the front row of the grid with Atkins and Shevill Jnr on row 2. When the race started McLaughlin went straight into the lead but on lap five Davies had reeled him in and was through into the lead. A few laps later Grief was second and closing but no sooner than he had got ahead than the race was suspended. On the restart Grief was under pressure from Davies who on the penultimate lap took the lead. Grief made a dive at him on the last bend but Davies just held on to win the Gilmore sponsored Superbowl. Grief had a bumpy ride along the wall but held on to second with Shevill Jnr third.


The microf2s were in good form with Charlie Burgoyne, Sam Critchley, Joshua Johnson and then Critchley who ran away with heats four and five.

On Sunday the action continued throughout the meeting with the microf2 and ministox drivers in top form.


The first saloon race of the night was their Champion of Champions race which is open to all winners of races at the Racewall. Barry Glen was through into the lead early on and he held on to win despite a fast closing Grief with Hughes in third place.
It looked as if Glen was going to retain his Gordon Barclay memorial trophy but with a lap remaining Grief and Glen were side by side with Hughes making a lunge at both, Glen hit the wall but Grief held on and went through to win with Hughes second and Graham in third.
The Allcomers races were won by Grief and Hughes.


The Classic Hot rods were fast and nostalgic watching cars from way back racing. Craig Boyd went on to win both the heats and then won the final from Ryan Polley and Kenny Purdie.

The 1300saloon drivers were racing for their Cock oíthe North trophy with their heats being won by Michael Byers. However in the final it Secker who came through to win and he led home Clark and McGowan.


The ministox drivers were in good form and their races were close and exciting with no shortage of contact with Mika Millar (Gorebridge) in action.
In the opening heat Sean Naismith got the better of the exchanges to win from Steven Burgoyne and Warren Darby, However in heat two it was Burgoyne who went on to win and he led home David Shearing and Naismith.
After a few incidents at the start to the final Charlie Folan made the break and he went through to win in what was his last ministox race and he led home Darby and Shearing with Millar in tenth place.


The micorf2 drivers were in good form with big fields despite the heats being split.
Heat wins went to Clark Burgoyne; Joshua Johnson; Sam Critchley: Jack Morrow and James Owen.

There is no racing at the Cowdenbeath Racewall until January when itís big van bangers, microbangers, Junior bangers and prostock basics.

Jim Turner


Want to see more results and info? Send your news to me and I will include it. Please mail to

Return to main page Index